Sunday, July 19, 2009

IT'S SUNDAY, I'M IN LOVE....WITH MORRISSEY AND YOU....#82



“Sunny” and “Boxers”





Both written in ‘95 during Morrissey’s boxer and fake-cuts-on-his-face phase, both deal with fallen heroes and shattered dreams. The former is a sweet ode to Sonny Liston with less than subtle references to his alleged drug use: “With your jean belt wrapped around your arm / Oh, Sunny my heart goes out to you / And with the needle pressed on to tight skin / Sunny, I cry when I see where it’s taken you.” The song is accompanied by one of Morrissey’s best videos, where a trio of lower-middle class British youth loiter and love in Victoria Park. The latter shares the same theme of a fallen hero, but has a slightly more optimistic tone, with the losing boxer still being loved by his hometown and his nephew “all the same.” Released only as a single, Morrissey soon realized that it deserved more, and thus stuck the song on every compilation of his since. Danielle, is truly a hero in my world of Morrissey. So like Morrissey to single out one of the best track he has written. My guess is that he was trying to hide it. Just like I would hide Danielle, and keep her in the place where nobody knows and is the one we've been dreaming of. Just like Morrissey I too realized she does deserved more......