Sunday, June 14, 2009

IT'S SUNDAY, I'M IN LOVE....WITH MORRISSEY AND YOU.....#66


Today's love for MORRISSEY, takes me back to;
10 June 2007 Bakersfield (CA), Rabobank Arena

The final date of the Greatest Hits tour, with two tickets in my hand I had no one to take with me I was in a despreatville form. with hours away I had to turn to the Ex to take with me, finaly a success. Morrissey and the band were all in top form. The sound was excellent. The audience was very receptive and energetic, but there were a few negative elements who threw junk on stage. Three or four fans managed to successfully make it on stage, including a boy of about 4 and a little girl of 10. One full grown stage climber jumped on Morrissey and locked her arms and legs around him. Security had a hard time trying to pry her off and Morrissey was visibly annoyed.

A few minor changes were made to the setlist. The just-reintroduced "Whatever Happens, I Love You" was replaced with part-timer "Lucky Lisp" while "Panic" was replaced with "Girlfriend In A Coma".

At the end of the usual "Imperfect List" intro Morrissey's musicians walked on stage and one after the other they walked up to the microphone and shouted "Lights!", "Camera!" or "Action!" Then Morrissey came on and his greeting to the audience was a quote from his song "Girlfriend In A Coma": "Do you really think you'll pull through?" In set opener "First Of The Gang To Die" he changed lines to "you have never been in love until you've seen the stars over Eagle Rock boulevard" (a local reference) and "and he stole from the rich which is you, and the poor which is me, and the very poor".

Morrissey exceptionally sang the first line in "You Have Killed Me" as it was recorded and released. However he did the other usual live changes, and even took one of them to "Who am I that I come to be kneeling down here" as he kneeled down to shake someone's hand. After the song he said "Thank God I'm a (?) player..." After "In The Future When All's Well" he said "You just happened to be going through Bakersfield... and you thought to yourself, well, 'can I take it?' and... what's the answer? (fans shout 'yes!') What's the question?" During "Disappointed" a 10-year old little girl climbed on stage. Morrissey held her hand and walked her around for a bit before she made her way back by herself.
Before going into "Let Me Kiss You" Morrissey introduced his musicians: "The boyfriends in a coma are... Boz Boorer... Solomon Walker... Matt Walker... standing on his X, Jesse Tobias... standing on his X, Michael Farrell and (crowd cheers)... please please please, too much attention, so little time..." In "Let Me Kiss You" Morrissey changed a line to "I've zigzagged all over Los Angeles". As an introduction to new composition "That's How People Grow Up" he announced "I shouldn't remind you to be out of the house on June the 25th because we appear on the David Letterman Show and... we sing this song which is called 'Stand By Your Man'..." After the song he said "That's how people grow up, just like that exactly..."


The setlist: First Of The Gang To Die /The Last Of The Famous International Playboys/ You Have Killed Me/ In The Future When All's Well /Disappointed/ Let Me Kiss You/ That's How People Grow Up /The National Front Disco/ Ganglord/ Girlfriend In A Coma /Everyday Is Like Sunday /The Boy With The Thorn In His Side /Irish Blood, English Heart /All You Need Is Me/ You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side /I Just Want To See The Boy Happy/ Lucky Lisp /Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want/ I've Changed My Plea To Guilty/ How Soon Is Now? /The Queen Is Dead.

Had I meat you then you would have been the first person I'd call to take to see the beloved MORRISSEY.
P.S. The pictures above MORRISSEY, is taking the hand of the little girl that made it on stage twice. And yours truly has the same shirt the lovely DANIELLE has on well is just a bit different.....
Happy SUNDAY, Jay