Sunday, March 15, 2009

The first Morrissey concert #4



October 9, 1999 Coachella California. The first Morrissey concert I ever attended. And i remember it like if it was just yesterday.
Well what can I say ?This was a fucking amazing concert. For the Morrissey set I stood in the front row, centre-stage. Morrissey came out at 9 pm and played for two hours (when I say two hours I mean two hours , not an hour 59 minutes not two hours 1 minute) this was timed to perfection. Morrissey wore a brown suit, pink shirt, Doc shoes, and that necklace/pendant thingy from the Vauxhall and I album.
The set contained only one Smiths song, London, which I heard him play 3 times at the sound-check which we could barely here because of the traffic and the poxy rain !. Anyway, the goose pimples are only just beginning to die down (OOPS ! spoke too soon ). Most of the set was from the Oye! Estevan Southpaw Grammar and Vauxhall but he also played National Front Disco and We'll Let You Know. He didn't play Sunny though, DAMN. The back-drop was Cornelius Carr and Morrissey kept pointing to it during Boy Racer. He also kept wiggling his finger at fly level during the " .. whole world in his hands" line. hehe....
quite a few people got on stage. morrissey, and even the bouncers, were helping people up. At the end of the set he said "Thank you for your continuing warm welcome and we hope to see you back here again soon" Here's hoping eh?He didn't say much else during the show "Me ? Are you sure ? Ohhhhhh""Yes yes YES YES YES YES YES YES YES "During the feedback bit of National Front Disco he took his jacket off, tied it around his waist, then took his shirt off and rubbed himself all over before throwing it to the crowd. ( Didn't get any of it though!) Dam!
This was the most perfect night in my entire life. I couldn't take my eyes off him, as if they were glued to him at all times . I remember telling myself "If Morrissey was not Morrissey, would i be Morrissey?". He sings my life as if he knows me some how. The way he moves on stage and his quotes are words that i normally use. If i wasn't listening to Morrissey i don't know what i would be listening to today..........
MORRISSEY made a dream out of you, Jay